With the passage of the Affordable Care Act, it is now more important than ever to make sure you have active health insurance coverage. Navigating the industry on your own to obtain coverage can be time consuming and confusing, but UBC is here to help!
Open enrollment, in California, typically runs from November 15th-January 31st every year, however, there are certain “Qualified Life Events” that can allow an individual to enroll outside of this time frame.
The following are considered Qualified Life Events:
Loss of health coverage
- Losing existing health coverage, including job-based, individual, and student plans
- Losing eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP
- Turning 26 and losing coverage through a parent’s plan
Changes in household
- Getting married or divorced
- Having a baby or adopting a child
- Death in the family
Changes in residence
- Moving to a different ZIP code or county
- A student moving to or from the place they attend school
- A seasonal worker moving to or from the place they both live and work
- Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing
Other qualifying events
- Changes in your income that affect the coverage you qualify for
- Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Leaving incarceration (jail or prison)
- AmeriCorps members starting or ending their service
We can also help with the rising cost of health
insurance for qualified applicants.
may be eligible for a subsidy to help pay for premiums and to off-set the cost
of your care!